Wednesday, June 19, 2013

ART BERGMANN!

My music-loving self has been depressed that (it seems) I'm going to miss BOTH Black Sabbath and Kris Kristofferson, the two concerts this summer that I really, really would like to see. Tickets too expensive, good seats gone, no way to justify it when I'm a broke-ass, barely-employed bum.

So I'm totally stoked that an even MORE exciting concert has been scheduled: Art Bergmann plays the WISE on July 1st!  Plus the opening act is the Ford Pier Vengeance Trio, which I think of as the "maximum Ford Pier unit thus far attained." (My glowing review of their CD here). Those unfamiliar with Art Bergmann's caustic genius (or who only know the Young Canadians material) should check out Design Flaw, if you can find it - acoustic renderings of some of Art's best songs, done with Chris Spedding. Not so easy to track down these days, in fact, but the version of "Crawl With Me" on that album is on Youtube... check it out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is suprising and exciting!..any word on the circumstanes of the show? After the couple of shows in 2009 he did I thought he was retired. I enjoyed your Art coverage back then and hope that you have the opportunity for more this time. Especially for those non BC fans who can't possibly make it!

Allan MacInnis said...

The Vancouver 2009 show was definitely troubled, but was a powerful, affecting night, nonetheless... if I recall, Art has done a couple things since, but in Toronto, not here. This show is coming straight out of the blue, to me - no idea what the circumstances are. We'll see what we can do blogwise...