Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bats!

I visited Vancouver Island last weekend, went for a late night swim under the stars, and was delighted to see (as I'd been promised by the person who brought me there) actual bats swooping around over the surface of the water. As some of you may recall, earlier this spring I went on a late-night recon mission into the Maple Ridge countryside to see if any bats could be found; I saw none, and subsequent internet research showed that bats have been undergoing a massive population crash comparable to what's been happening with bees. Apparently the bats of Vancouver Island have been spared this phenomenon; what's more startling to me is that I'm pretty sure I just saw a bat in Maple Ridge tonight, flickering past me as I walked back to my apartment. Looks like there are still some bats around, folks! Take heart!

No comments: