Saturday, April 14, 2012

L'Argent tonight and tomorrow

I have not yet seen Robert Bresson's L'Argent, and - though I have the DVD - at this point am saving myself up to check it out tomorrow, presuming I make it past the final hurdle in my Escape from Essay Hell (this evening's entertainment). Seems a very exciting premise for a film, following, I gather, a forged 500 Franc note ("and the contagion of evil it spreads," as the Cinematheque program puts it) as it is passed around; presumably the film contains a critique of capitalism, though from as austere and serious-minded filmmaker as Bresson, the indictments might go much deeper. Paired tonight with his challenge to mythmaking, Lancelot du Lac, and tomorrow with an adaptation of Dostoevsky that is not so easy to see, Une Femme Douce. This is a rare cinematic opportunity, to see Bresson's cinema screened; those of you who are not yet fascinated by this filmmaker may find that after this weekend - if you take a chance - you are.

No comments: